Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Follow The Money

Question: What person has had the biggest impact on Kansas politics in recent memory? Answer: George Tiller. At least that’s the answer according to my brother-in-law, Joe Ledbetter. I think he might be onto something here. At times it does appear the man is almost above the law. But then I‘ could be wrong. Critics claim Kline was just an over zealous, pro-life nut case who was out to get Tiller and your medical records. Kline claims he’d investigated Tiller for the last three years, built a case against him, presented it to two different Shawnee County Judges who agreed there was probable cause to believe crimes had been committed. Seemed like a legitimate case to some of the people I know.
According to a story that ran in the Lawrence Journal-World on Sept.6th of last year, Kline‘s opponent said he‘d end the investigation into the abortion clinics and use the resources elsewhere if elected. I remember the outrage over Kline using medical records in his investigation. We weren’t supposed to know that using medical records during investigations is routine. I remember all the television commercials followed by the mass mailings. All were well done, effective, and very expensive. Well Kline’s opponent won that election and I’ve heard rumors that Tiller might have had quite a bit of money in that advertising campaign. No, I’m not suggesting Tiller was trying to effect the elections. I’m simply saying it could look that way to some people. That’s all.
I remember Kline filing charges in Sedgwick County against Tiller, only to have them dropped the next day by the Sedgwick County D.A. on technical grounds over jurisdiction. I remember that a Sedgwick County judge upheld her decision a day later. I’m sure it was all legitimate but have you ever heard of the courts working so fast? This alone should raise a few eyebrows. Kline, who’s time in office was running out appointed a Special Prosecutor who filed the case with the Kansas Supreme Court. On his first day in office, our newly elected Attorney General fired the special prosecutor. In February he withdrew the case from the Supreme Court before they had ruled on it, effectively killing the case. Again, it’s not me. But I’ve talked to people who believe this sort of thing gives the impression that someone could be obstructing justice. I’ve tried to assure these people there’s no way that could happen. Not in Kansas anyway.
I’ve heard there’s a way the Legislature can pass a resolution forcing the Attorney General to prosecute this case. Either branch, The House or The Senate can pass it and they don’t need the approval of the Governor.
The issue isn’t necessarily pro-life vs. pro-choice anymore. It’s about whether or not our laws mean anything. Two different judges have found probable cause to believe 15 illegal, late-term abortions had been preformed on girls as young as 10 and 12 years old. If these allegations are true it means another child rapist has been allowed to cover up his crime.
What about it Legislator’s? You have it in your power to make this happen. Pass the “Tiller Resolution.” If he is on the up and up, and Kline was in fact just on a misguided witch hunt against Tiller it should be easy to prove in court. Then maybe some of the people I talk to would be satisfied knowing that justice was at least given a chance.
But what do I know, I’m just an old guy.
Kevin McGinty can be reached at: kevinmcginty@sbcglobal.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Solo Expedition...

 I haven't really talked about it much but every other weekend I usually head out by myself. It's usually the day I seek out new fis...