Tuesday, September 4, 2007

Remember It

I’ve avoided talking about the war in Iraq for all kinds of reasons. I guess mainly because, like everyone else. I’m sick of it. I’m sick of the bombings. I’m sick of the killing. I’m sick of listening to politicians say we should do this or do that. I’m sick of listening to these same politicians using the war for political gain. If you don’t believe that‘s what they‘re doing, you’re just not paying attention. Most of all, I’m sick of what it’s done to our country.
This coming Tuesday, (9-11-07) marks the 6th anniversary of the most horrific terrorist attacks our country or the world for that matter, has ever seen. I remember it like it was yesterday. I remember exactly what I was doing the moment I heard about it. I also remember feeling an overwhelming sense of sadness, for I knew we were going to war. I just didn’t where.
The fact is, Islamic extremists have been at war with us ever since Jimmy Carter was President. Remember the Iranian hostage crisis? I know there are those who believe that because of our meddling in the affairs of other countries, we had this coming. Believe what you want.
Since those early days they’ve attacked us at will. Does anyone remember the first attack on the World Trade Center? How about the bombing of our embassies ? Maybe the attack on the USS. Cole, remember that? They’ve attacked buildings, trains, and subways in countries all around the globe. Their stated goal is to form an Islamic world. Anyone who won’t accept Islam is considered an Infidel and must die. They’ve bread millions of kids for the sole purpose of killing the Infidels. From almost the time they can walk, these kids are taught how and who to kill. They’re taught that it is their duty and it’s the only way for them to honor Allah. So no, I don’t believe they hate us for who we are or what we’ve done. They hate us for what we’re not. Followers of Islam.
Yeah, I’ve heard all the cries that Bush lied and kids died. They call it Bush’s war. The Democrats have just as much blood on their hands as Bush. They want to sweep their votes authorizing the war in the first place under the rug, and for the most part we’re allowing them to get away with it. I find this truly amazing.
Why Iraq? Why not? Everyone pretty much agrees that sooner or later we were going to have to fight Al-Queda. Iraq was already an enemy of the United States. And there’s no such place as Al-Quedastan. I believe this was just where Bush chose to fight them. Has everything gone our way? Of course not.
I have no solutions to offer. But in my opinion, pulling out before the Iraqi’s can handle their own security problems would be a disaster on so many levels. No, I don’t know when that will be. It might be six months or it might take another twenty years, who knows? I do firmly believe that if we were to quit, the consequences for our country and our way of life could be devastating.
Like everyone, I’ll be glad when Bush is finally out of office. I believe he’s betrayed us on the illegal immigration issue, but that’s another story for another time. People want to cry that he’s stubborn and won’t listen. He’s not listening to “we the people.” Maybe “we the people” are the one’s not listening.
So, if you get a chance and if you can put your unconditional hatred for Bush aside for just a few minutes Tuesday morning. Think about that day six years ago. Think about the horror the passengers aboard those planes went through. Think about the three thousand people that were murdered in the Twin Tower’s and the Pentagon. Think about how you felt. Think about being scared. Think about wanting revenge. This, my friends is why we’re at war. Remember it.
Kevin McGinty can be reached at: kevinmcginty@sbcglobal.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Solo Expedition...

 I haven't really talked about it much but every other weekend I usually head out by myself. It's usually the day I seek out new fis...