Wednesday, October 24, 2007

So Much For Being A Consrevative

You know, I just hate this. Now my wife is mad at me because I offended a friend of hers. Gee whiz Angie, I’m sorry. Now tell my wife to get off my back, will you?
Okay, let’s get down to business. As we all know, Bush’s approval rating is at an all time low. No surprises there. But have you noticed we don’t really hear much about that these days from the main stream media? You don’t suppose it has anything to do with Congress having even a lower approval rating, do you? We voted for change in 06, remember that? Well, we got change alright. We got non-stop attacks and endless investigations. The Democrats in Congress aren’t satisfied with simply destroying their political opponents. Harry Reid himself led the charge with the backing of the entire Democrat controlled Congress against a radio, talk show host, a private citizen if you will. You know the story. You probably know about the letter signed by 41 Democrat Senators that was sent to Clear Channel radio station, demanding they pressure this talk show host to apologize for comments they concocted. Well, they picked the wrong talk show host to attack. And I just love the way it all blew up in their faces. Like everything he does, Rush Limbaugh fought back and even sold the letter on e-bay to raise funds to help the kids of Marines killed in action go to college. How cool is that? Kids of our fallen soldiers get to go to college, Rush came out stronger than ever. And once again, Harry Reid came out looking like a fool. As my grandson would probably say. Face!
Sorry, I got a little sidetracked there. What I really want to talk about today is the Topeka High School-condom scandal. First let me say, I don’t believe the principle was unaware of the fact that just down the hall from her office, condoms were being given to students from the school nurse‘s office. The reaction was immediate. Acting Superintendent, Terry Sandlin rightfully put a stop to it. Parents were outraged to learn the school would do something like this behind their backs. I agree with them. This is an issue that should be discussed in public, and not be left up to a school nurse. And it’s an issue that’s not going to go away anytime soon.
Like everything, there are two very different sides to this story. There’s the abstinence only side. On this side, parents want to be the one’s to teach their kids about sex and birth control. This side tends to be made up of mostly the pro-life, religious right. And there’s the wacko, liberal left, anything goes side that believe this is a good thing, because kids are going to have sex whether their parents like it or not.
I’ve never tried to hide my conservative views. And to borrow a recent quote from Phill Kline, I make no apologies for my pro-life beliefs. Here’s how I see this issue. We can talk to our kids about sex until we’re blue in the face. We can spend years telling them about the dangers of having sex at such an early age. We can explain the risks of becoming pregnant or getting infected with a sexually transmitted disease that could be fatal.
In a perfect world this would be the perfect approach. But you know what? This isn’t a perfect world. As our kids become teenagers we lose a lot of control over them. We hope they always make the right decisions. But you know what else? Sometimes they don’t. High School kids by the thousands have been making the decision to have sex since the beginning of time, it’s nothing new. Look, the kids who were getting these free condoms are more than likely already having sex whether parents want to believe it or not.
Should a school nurse take it upon herself to make them available in a public school? No. It needs to be publicly discussed first. But in my mind, if it saves even one baby from being killed at the hands of an abortionist. Or if it saves even one of our kids from dying of AIDS, it’s worth it.
Kevin McGinty can be reached at: kevinmcginty@sbcglobal.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Solo Expedition...

 I haven't really talked about it much but every other weekend I usually head out by myself. It's usually the day I seek out new fis...