Wednesday, August 6, 2008

I Too Have A plan

My daughter, Misty really gets on my nerves. She called me early last Tuesday to ask why she should vote for my guy, Eric Rucker in the Shawnee County District Attorney’s race. Sensing an attitude in her voice, I decided to play my ace in the hole. I pulled out the “dad card.” I told her she should vote the way I said because I was the dad and like always, I know best.
Well, that plan didn‘t get me very far. She said it was a nice try and it might have worked if she were still ten years old. She told me she was going to give me one last chance to convince her Eric Rucker was the guy. Otherwise, she’d probably be voting for Robert Hecht. Wow.
We spent the better part of the next half hour debating back and forth about the two candidates. I explained to her that I was convinced Eric Rucker would be more effective in getting violent criminals off the streets. She countered with Robert Hecht’s record of removing corrupt politicians from office. And what about the issue of dirty cops? She wanted to know if my guy, Eric Rucker was going to turn a blind eye to these kind of crimes. Eventually she told me she was going to do her own research and make her own decision and that there was no way she was going to vote a certain way just because I said so. Bam! So much for me being the boss.
She called late Tuesday night to tell me she had in fact considered my opinion and in the end, she decided maybe I had a point and decided to vote for Eric Rucker. On one hand, I’m glad to know she’s grown up to be an independent thinker and not willing to just follow the crowd. But dang it, things sure were a lot easier for me when she was still a little girl and had to do what I said just because I said so. Oh well, such is life.
Hey, I know this is late and I should have gotten to it sooner but I’d still like to thank Mayor Bill Bunten for using his veto power and putting a stop to the much touted Elevation Parkway project. Again, the City Council voted to spend millions of dollars on what’s probably a pretty good project but at a really bad time. Supporters like to point to the economic development the project will likely create. Come on now. What kind of economic development will it really bring to the table. How many more convenience stores or fast food joints does Topeka really need? They have a valid point when they talk about needing to do something to alleviate the traffic backups at the intersection of 21st and Fairlawn though.
This has to be one of the most poorly planned intersections I’ve ever seen. Just drive west on I-470 between 4:00 and 5:00 any weekday afternoon and more than likely, you’ll find cars lined up clear up to the top of the off ramp. You know, it’s gotta be hell in some of those cars too. Can you imagine if you’re in a hurry, you have three little kids with you. The youngest one has just peed his pants, one of them is hungry and crying, and the other one is busy tattling on the other two. To top it off, the idiot in front of you could have easily gone, but hell no, apparently he’s waiting for some kind of special invitation before he moves his sorry self. And oh no, what's that smell. Great, the baby just pooped. Why do we put ourselves in these kind of situations anyway?
Luckily, like T Boone Pickens. I have a plan. Unlike Mr. Pickens’ plan that will cost us bazillions of dollars. My plan won’t cost us a dime. Are you ready? How about taking another route. How about getting off at the Gage exit and taking 29th west to Fairlawn. How about simply traveling through town and avoiding the whole mess all together. But hey, what do I know, I’m just an old guy.
You can reach Kevin McGinty and join in on the conversation at his online blog at: http://www.rm235.blogspot.com/ or by e-mail at: kevinmcginty@sbcglobal.net

1 comment:

  1. Hey Kevin my friend and fellow blogger ...

    I have posted my "I don't care" blog just this AM

    Surf on over and reply if you'd like.

    Myron@myownfaith2.com

    ReplyDelete

Solo Expedition...

 I haven't really talked about it much but every other weekend I usually head out by myself. It's usually the day I seek out new fis...