Wednesday, September 12, 2007

Rocking Randall

Thank God for global warming. No, I haven’t lost my mind. Think about it. The global warming of the 20’s and 30’s led to the global cooling of the 70’s. This in turn led us to our current, world ending, global warming crisis. So, I’m thinking, this must be what led to the global cooling we’ve experienced this week. I just hope it happened soon enough to save those poor polar bears. Then maybe I can sleep at night.
I’m not sure if I’m supposed to use the word suck or not. But you know, August really sucked! And I don’t mean it sucked a little bit. I mean it sucked about as bad as anything can suck. It really sucks when it’s 92 degrees at 6:00 in the morning. It sucks even worse when it’s 102 at 6:00 that same evening. Yeah, I’m glad to see it end. Bring on the cooler weather! Bring on the Fall. I love to see the leaves turning colors, it’s a chance to watch mother nature at her finest. But wait a minute, then they fall to the ground and we have to pick the stupid things up. Man, that really, oh never mind, you know.
Hey, how about those Chiefs! As far as sports go, this is my time of year. I just love football season. I know, the pre-season wasn’t much to talk about. Hey, it’s just pre-season and doesn’t matter anyway. Right? Yeah I know, the first regular season game might have lacked a little something. Little things like blocking, running, throwing the ball, catching the ball, holding onto the ball, scoring points, you know, football stuff. Is it to soon in the season to remind everyone that this is a rebuilding year? Just wondering.
Win or lose, football Sunday at my house is always a good time. The kids and grandkids all come over. I have this huge Chiefs banner the kids got me a couple years ago. The first thing I do Sunday morning is hang it on the front of the house. Last week my wife had a huge roast with all the fixings ready. My son-in-law brought frozen pizzas, I fixed a plate of summer sausage, cheese and crackers, there were chips, dips, and salsa, the fridge is stocked to the brim with ice cold Pepsi. A few years ago for Christmas, I got a little Chiefs guy named “Rocking Randall.” You push the button and he does a dance and sings the theme song Hank Williams Jr. did for Monday Night Football. Randall sits front and center on top of the television. Every time the Chiefs score someone will hit the button. Yeah, Randall loves to shake his stuff. In recent years we’d go through two or three sets of batteries during the course of a season. It’s also become a ritual to call my mom after every touchdown.
My brother Aaron and his two kids, Little Aaron, and Lisa usually come over for the game. We’re all decked out in our Chiefs jerseys. Everybody except my wife. I guess her love for Colorado makes her think it’s okay to be a Broncos fan. Believe me when I say we’ve had more than a few heated debates about this. I’ve threatened to hit her in the mouth many times. And believe me when I say I’d follow through with it if it weren’t for the fact that I’m scared of her.
We hoop and holler, scream and yell. We celebrate when we score. We cuss when a call doesn’t go our way. I would like to see them score a few touchdowns though. Not for me or my family. Do it for Randall. He just loves to dance.
Kevin McGinty can be reached at: kevinmcginty@sbcglobal.net

1 comment:

  1. Darn.. sounds like fun... and I don't even like football! The family get together sounds great though!

    ReplyDelete

Solo Expedition...

 I haven't really talked about it much but every other weekend I usually head out by myself. It's usually the day I seek out new fis...