Wednesday, October 1, 2008

Here's the way I see it...

I’ve been racking my brain all day trying to figure out what to write about this week and I’ve boiled it down to a couple of things. First, like everyone else, the financial melt down we’re facing is first and foremost on my mind. While I have a pretty good idea how it happened, I’ll be the first one to admit, I have no idea how to fix it. But then, that’s not my job. I do find it amazing that there were so many people out there who fell for the “too good to be true” mortgage offers that ultimately did them in. What’s more amazing is that you and I are now expected to pick up the tab for the stupid decisions millions of other people made.
If you listen to the left, it’s all Bush’s fault and a vote for McCain will only give us 4 more years of the same old, failed policies. And if you listen to the right, it was all the fault of the Democrats and a vote for Obama will surely send America into a downward, out of control spiral that will eventually ruin us all.
I’ll tell you what, I’m sick and tired of both political parties spending so much time and energy attacking each other over every crisis that comes along. The Democrats want us to believe it’s all because of the Republicans and the Republicans want us to believe it’s all because of those evil Democrats. Then they have the nerve to call for a “bi-partisan” solution. Give me a break. There’s a reason Congress has an approval rating of around 11%. It’s because we can’t trust them to get anything done without this huge, never ending fight.
I’ve got an idea, how about this. How about all you Lawmakers, Senators, Congressmen, Congresswomen, Presidents, and President wannabes out there grow up and stop acting like a bunch of damned kids for a change. Quit your grandstanding. Quit the fighting. Put your own personal interests and re-election plans and your power plays on the back burner for a change. How about putting the interests of your country first and come up with a plan that won’t break backs of the American people. That’s what you promised us you’d do in order to get our votes, now do it.
Okay, I got that off my chest and yes, I do feel better because of it. But there’s another melt down we’ve been watching over the course of the last couple of years that hasn’t attracted nearly as much attention as our financial crisis but is just as big a deal. Well, not really. But if your as big a Chief’s fan as I am, you know what I’m talking about. Never in my life did I think we could ever lose 12 games in a row. I know, they keep calling it a re-building season. But come on, 12 loses in a row? To tell you the truth, I was just about ready to write them off. But then last Sunday, the Chiefs reminded me why I loved them so much when they beat the living crap out of the unbeaten Denver Broncos. You gotta understand how important this game is in my house. You see, for some reason unknown to me, my wife has become a huge Bronco’s fan. She’d been taunting me for weeks about the blood bath her Broncos were bringing to Arrowhead and she could hardly wait for the big day. Yeah, that ended on the first play of the game when Larry Johnson broke lose for a 65 yard run.
Like most Sundays, the kids and grandkids all come over to watch the Chiefs game. And like all families, we don’t always agree on everything. But we manage to have a great time and enjoy the time we have together. Maybe Congress should get together on Sundays and watch a little football. Hey, what could it hurt?
Agree with me? Or maybe I’ve said something to rile you up a little. Tell me so at:www.rm235.blogspot.com or you can contact me at: kevinmcginty@sbcglobal.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Solo Expedition...

 I haven't really talked about it much but every other weekend I usually head out by myself. It's usually the day I seek out new fis...