Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Emily

I’d love to talk about Paul Morrison and the people he hurt this week. But you know what? He’s not worth the effort. However, I do feel sorry for his wife and kids, they’re the real losers in this whole disgusting fiasco. Yeah Paul, you’re quite a guy.
Actually, I’ve got other things on my mind this week. As everyone knows, Christmas is just around the corner. And like most old guys, I’m already getting that “what do you want for Christmas” question. I usually tell them I want a new motor home and a ranch in the mountains of Colorado. This year is different though. I want something specific this year. I want the same thing Steve’s getting.
Last Monday I was listening to Steve Forman’s “Wake Up Call” on AM 1440 as he was telling a story about a recent phone call he received from his daughter, I think he said she‘s going to school and living in Manhattan. Anyway she wanted to know what he wanted for Christmas. He told her all he wanted was for her to come home for a few days so they could spend time together. Spend a little time looking through a few old pictures and reminiscing about days gone by. And maybe even getting out the old Monopoly game. You know, just being a family and being together. Isn’t that what it’s really about? While I’ll do everything I can think of to not break out the Monopoly game, I’ll gladly whip up on my kids in a good, heated game of Risk. So kids, I want the same thing Steve wants this year and I hope we both get it.
Last week I talked a little bit about some of the things I believe in and some of the things I’ve written about over the past year. But something I haven’t talked much about is why I decided to name this column “Room 235.” I guess I haven’t talked about it because it’s taken this long to be able to. You see, Room 235 was my grand daughter’s hospital room number at Stormont-Vail last December. Emily was born 17 weeks premature. At 1lb. 4oz.,she was tiny and had an uphill battle ahead of her. You know, I really thought she was going to make it too. I actually never really considered the fact that she might not make it. Emily and I had already made plans to go fishing as soon as she was a little bigger. I couldn’t wait to go to her first kindergarten Christmas program. I had already picked out her first bike and promised to teach her to ride it. We read Christmas stories and we sang little songs every day. The night she died, I wanted to die too. I was mad as hell at everyone and everything. More than anything, I was mad at God. How could he allow something like this to happen? Emily was only 23 days old. That’s how I named my column “Room 235. It’s just my way of honoring her memory.
That was a year ago and whether we like it or not, life does go on. Since then I’ve been blessed with two more grandkids, Shawn and Sofie. Add them to Adam and Krista and we have a houseful of kids again. I’m not mad anymore either.
When it comes right down to it. We’re all given a certain amount of time and that’s all we get. It’s up to each one of us to decide how to spend it. This Christmas, do yourself a favor. If at all possible, spend a little of that time with your family or someone you love. If you haven’t spoken to someone for awhile because you’re mad at each other for whatever reason. Call them. Call your mom or dad. Call your brother or sister. What can it hurt? Don’t assume you can call them next year or even next week.
If you don’t mind and if Denise is okay with it. Next week I’d like to re-run the first “Room 235 that ran about this same time last year. It pretty much sums up my feelings at the time. I sincerely hope each and every one of you have a Merry Christmas this year.
Kevin McGinty can be reached at: kevinmcginty@sbcglobal.net

1 comment:

  1. Ive been so busy I have not read your blog in quite a few weeks. I am so happy to hear about your two new grandchildren. Tomorrow I start my long journey home to Kansas for Christmas. I will only have 1 week to cram in seeing everyone there that I love and miss. Last year after driving clear across the country I ended up being first on the scene of a double fatality accident... I could not get the vision of that sweet looking old man and woman out of my mind, and I cried for days. I did not even know them... just really hit me hard to see such a sweet looking old couple gone. I learned later that they were on their way home from having dinner with their kids and family. The second car involved had 5 people in it. One with some very serious injuries and several very small children who were horrifed to no end. I comforted the injured woman who was screaming in pain, and held a small little boy scared out of his wits. This happened on 96 HWY, a very busy HWY... I was appalled at how no one else stopped.. cars just kept zooming by. After what seemed like forever but was probably only about 10 minutes a second person stopped to help, he was an emt. In that 10 minutes lots of cars came by and never stopped. That really saddens me to think that humans can just go right by such a horriable thing and not even stop to see if there is anything they could do to help. So I was very sad last christmas.. tears just kept falling.

    I am hoping this christmas is filled with nothing but joy. I know your household will filled with much more joy this year also.

    Merry Christmas cusin, to you and your family.

    Debbie

    ReplyDelete

Solo Expedition...

 I haven't really talked about it much but every other weekend I usually head out by myself. It's usually the day I seek out new fis...