Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Why I Write

The two questions I get most often are why do I write and how do I decide what to write about. The first one’s easy, because I can’t sing or dance, and my temper won’t allow me to be an effective debater. If I find myself confronted by someone I consider to be an uninformed, Kool-Aid drinking idiot, I’m more than a little inclined to tell them so. By writing, I can usually avoid all this.
The second question is a little harder. If you pay attention to what’s going on in the world, there’s never a shortage of things to write about. The problem is narrowing it down to one particular topic at a time. This week is no exception, so I’ve decided to get several things off my chest at once.
I’m still steaming about the childish attack on our newspaper by talk show hosts, Raubin and Megan a couple of week ago. Just who do they think they are, and why is the management of this station okay with these kinds of unwarranted attacks on local business’s in the area? Maybe I’m missing something.
I’m very troubled that our Legislature has apparently decided not to pursue a resolution compelling our newly elected Attorney General to re-file charges against George Tiller. Mr. Neufeld, the ball is in your court. If he’s innocent, it should be easy to prove in court.
The fact that we could only manage a miserable 16% voter turnout in our recent local elections bothers me. While I’m on the subject, I find it interesting that most local elections are designed to be non-partisan, forcing a candidate to run on their own merits and not be beholding to any particular political party. What a wonderful idea, and if there is any other office that should be required to follow suit it would have to be the office of the Attorney General. Justice is supposed to be blind and shouldn’t follow party lines. Paul Morrison’s recent statement that he wouldn’t be pressured by a bunch of social conservatives (Republicans) to file charges against Tiller proves my point.
How about Nancy Pelosi and her trip to Syria? I’m no expert, but since when is it the Speaker of the House’s job to set foreign policy? And since when does The United States have a dual foreign policy? Like it or not, this is the President’s job and we elected him.
I just love how Congress has shown their support for our troops. They’ve sent Bush a war funding bill that requires a set date for troop withdrawal and is tied to 24 billion in pork-barrel spending. Bush has rightly said he’d veto it. Democrat Harry Reid has threatened to introduce a bill to entirely cut off funding the war. Do it Harry, show the American people who you really are. Either put up or shut up, and I can hardly wait to see how Nancy Boyda will vote on this one.
In the 70’s global-cooling was going to kill us all. Today it’s global-warming that’s going to kill us. The Democrats have seized on this hysteria and are telling us they’re the ones that will save the planet. Give me a break.
The fact that people even listen to people like Al Gore and John Travolta really bothers me. They use more energy and contribute more pollution than almost anyone else, but because they buy carbon credits it’s okay. It’s like going on a diet. Yeah, give me four double cheeseburgers, two large orders of onion rings, and a “diet” soda. It just doesn’t work.
Kevin McGinty can be reached at: kevinmcginty@sbcglobal.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Solo Expedition...

 I haven't really talked about it much but every other weekend I usually head out by myself. It's usually the day I seek out new fis...