Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Dillons

If you had the chance to help a bunch of people, would you do it? What if all you had to do was to make a simple phone call, or send an e-mail. Would you do it? If you knew that Dillons might not rebuild their store in Greensburg. Would you be willing to make a call urging them to do the right thing? If I went first, would you join in to help the people of Greensburg keep their Dillons?
I understand companies must make a profit. I understand that to continue to make a profit a company has to grow. I get it. But as these companies grow they always forget where they came from. It gets worse once this company decides to go public. In Dillons case, they were swallowed up by the Kroger Co. of Cincinnati. Don’t get me wrong, I’m not bashing Kroger. They’re very good at what they do. They have some of the biggest, most well stocked stores anywhere. They’re Huge! They’ve obviously made very good business decisions. Gotta hit those numbers! I get it.
According to a story in the Capital-Journal, Dillons isn’t sure they’ll rebuild in Greensburg. Dillons spokeswoman Sheila Lowrie said the company is waiting for information like returning population estimates, infrastructure plans, and highway location before making any decisions about rebuilding. She also said the decision will be made with their parent company, Kroger Co. of Cincinnati. These are all important issues. I get it.
Just do it because it’s the right thing to do Sheila? I don’t know when you built the store in Greensburg, but it’s safe to say you’ve had three generations of families supporting it. I was one of them for twelve years. And because of that my wife and I have shopped Dillons Brookwood for the last seventeen years. My daughter shops the Dillons in North Topeka. That’s how it works.
Instead of requiring Greensburg to prove itself to you, you should be a stand up company and ask what you can do for them. I realize you’ve outgrown small, hometown stores. But you need to remember, this is exactly where you came from. Stores just like the tiny one in Greensburg.
As you know, the Greensburg tornado has become a National story. Think of the Public Relations Bonanza it could be. You could easily spin this in a way to make your company look like National, Corporate Hero’s. I can’t see this as anything but good for business.
But if you decide not to rebuild there. You run the risk of being known as the company that abandoned Greensburg in it’s greatest time of need. Think of the Public Relations nightmare your competitors could make this into. Just think of the customers you might lose statewide. I promise I’ll be one of them. Just something to think about as you make your decision.
It’s important that some day when Greensburg is rebuilt it can be somewhat close to what it used to be. If enough of us make the call to let Dillons know it’s important that they’re a major part of the new Greensburg, we might make a difference. Who knows?
You can call their Customer Comment number at (1-800-362-2183) or you can visit their website at (www.dillons.com) click on Contact Us, click on Customer Comment. There’s no reason to be disrespectful but make sure they understand that Kansan’s stand behind the people of Greensburg and they should too. I don’t know if we can make a difference or not. But I know for a fact if we just stay quiet, Greensburg will lose their Dillons. I’ve made my call and fired off an e-mail. Your turn. But what do I know. I’m just an old guy.
Kevin McGinty can be reached at:kevinmcginty@sbcglobal.net

No comments:

Post a Comment

Solo Expedition...

 I haven't really talked about it much but every other weekend I usually head out by myself. It's usually the day I seek out new fis...