Wednesday, May 7, 2008

Lisa Montgomery and Phill Kline

Because of recent rulings by the U.S. Supreme Court, it’s full speed ahead with the Death Penalty again. Good! I mean that’s what these people deserve for what they’ve done, right?
How do you guys feel about the death penalty? Do you believe, like I do, that someone like Lisa Montgomery deserved the death sentence she was given? If you remember, she was the woman from Melvern who traveled to Missouri to kill a young woman named Bobby Jo Stinnet so she could steal the child the young woman was carrying.
Some will argue that Lisa Montgomery was emotionally unstable and shouldn’t be held responsible for her actions. They’ll argue that we as a society, don’t have the right to condemn anyone to death. And that two wrongs don’t make a right. You know, that kind of stuff.
Personally, I believe Lisa Montgomery got what she had coming. Do I believe justice was served? Maybe, maybe not. It’s hard to say. No, putting her to death won’t bring Bobbi Jo back. It won’t restore any of the damage she’s inflicted upon the lives of so many people. So what’s the point? I don’t know, maybe it’s revenge we‘re after.
Call it justice, call it revenge, call it whatever you want. Lisa Montgomery was given the sentence she had coming. But what about someone who’s been wrongly accused, convicted, and sentenced to die. What about those guys? What do you do if you put the wrong person to death? Do you just say oops, sorry about that? How do you make it right?
Think it can’t happen? Think again. I’m not sure of the exact number, I think it’s somewhere around 130 people, who, because of DNA testing have been exonerated of the crimes they were condemned to die for. How do you make that right?
You can’t. How many more people are there out there sitting on death row waiting for the day to come when they pay the ultimate penalty for a crime they didn’t commit?
If Lisa Montgomery does indeed pay for her crimes with her life, so be it. But until the day comes when we can remove all doubt about someone’s guilt, I think we need to put a halt to the death penalty in the United States. But that’s just my opinion.
I realize most of you reading this column today are well aware of my pro-life beliefs. And maybe some of you are tired of me going on about it so I won’t dwell on the subject today. But because Phill Kline has been in the news so much lately I do have a few comments I’d like to make. Why are there so many people out there today who’ll seemingly go to any length to make sure the laws concerning late-term abortions in Kansas are ignored. Why?
Some of you act like Phill Kline is the devil himself. You’ve called him every name in the book. You yell that he’s on a personal crusade and should be silenced. You’ve fallen for the patient privacy excuse Tiller and Planned-Parenthood have used to obstruct his investigation. You cry that he’s trying to change the law. You accuse him of violating the separation of church and state principals of the law. You scream that his investigation of the abortion clinics is unconstitutional.
Here’s the way I see it. Phill Kline doesn’t need to change the laws. Late-term abortions have been outlawed in the State of Kansas, the only exception to this law is if an abortion is necessary to save the life of the mother, period. Tiller boasts of performing more late-term abortions than anyone in the Western Hemisphere, somewhere around 2,800 from the way I hear it. Do you really believe these are all on the up and up? No, you don’t believe it. But you don’t care either.
Mr. Kline, I don’t know how you keep going. But I do want you to know there are some of us out here who support you in your efforts. Keep up the good work.
Kevin McGinty can be reached at: kevinmcginty@sbcglobal.net

2 comments:

  1. I have a lot of respect for Phill Kline, though I don't always agree with him. But he seems to be an honest enough man who is trying to do the best he can.

    The death penalty, however, is an important subject. It ties in somewhat with two other serious topics, "Right to Life" and false allegations.

    I agree that some people deserve to die for crimes they've really committed. But I get very nervous about WHO has the power to decide who dies, and how they determine if they are killing the right person.

    Because face it: our government seems to think that there is no "Right to Life", and sometimes it seems all-too-happy to kill, whether it's killing a murderer, an innocent person, or unborn babies.

    Also, if an innocent person gets executed, how much greater of an injustice can there be?

    And in the USA, there have been HOW MANY innocent people executed, then later proven innocent by DNA, or the prosecutor committed ethics violations, etc.

    It's for those reasons alone that I am AGAINST the death penalty. I'd rather shoulder the burden of keeping 100 terrible people in jail for life, instead of shouldering the burden of knowing that an innocent man was executed.

    Respectfully,

    Thomas Lessman
    Website: www.ThomasLessman.com
    Blog: www.talessman.blogspot.com
    --------------------

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for stopping by and chiming today Thomas.
    Hey, I might be looking for a place to take my brother and his two kids fishing. You wouldn't happen to know a place, would you?

    ReplyDelete

Solo Expedition...

 I haven't really talked about it much but every other weekend I usually head out by myself. It's usually the day I seek out new fis...