Wednesday, May 21, 2008

Thank You Jim

Okay, it’s been nine days now and we’ve all had a chance to cool down. Good thing too. If I’d tried to write this column last Wednesday after hearing about Cumulus Radio firing Jim Cates, I probably would have said something stupid like, hey Spike Santee and Cumulus Radio, how about you kissing my butt! I probably would have called them names like scum sucking pigs or something like that. Good thing I didn’t go there, huh.
I’ve had a couple of interesting phone calls this week about a certain local politician deciding that “local talk radio” was out of control in Topeka and needed to be reigned in. Surely that couldn’t happen here. Well it sure as hell did. From what I’ve been told, Cumulus wanted Jim to discontinue his open lines policy. It wasn’t necessarily Jim they were trying to shut up. It was us. Unless we wanted to talk about something positive, they didn’t want to hear it anymore. They didn’t want us talking about the helicopter anymore. Looks like we weren’t supposed to question anything going on at city hall. They didn’t want us talking about our county commissioners. I’m sure it really got to them when someone had the nerve to disagree with the Governor or the Attorney General. Wow, maybe I was part of the problem.
I guess it doesn’t really matter, does it? Jim’s gone and nothing I say here is going to change that. So instead of wasting a lot of time ranting and raving about it I’m just going to say thank you Jim. Thank you for all the help, encouragement, and support you’ve given me over the last couple of years in getting this column off the ground.
Thank you for introducing me to your friends. People like Marge and Ralph. Man I loved those two. I had the honor of meeting Marge at one of your remotes a while back. Very classy lady. Marge, there were a lot of times I had no idea what you were talking about but your calls always made my day.
I’m going to miss Vince, ol’ Bill and Jake. I’m going to miss the words of wit from Gene the liberal. And hearing from Cheryl the cabbie, another very cool lady. What would a day be without Myron plugging his web-site. Does anyone know why Dave Menely just stopped calling in? I always put a lot of stock in what he had to say. I’m going to miss Don from Wamego and Dee From Maple Hill. I’ll miss hearing you and Steve from Silver Lake going toe to toe. Then there’s John Clooney. Man, that guy can talk. I had the privilege of meeting John last Friday. John, I’m very glad to know you.
I’m going to throw out a special thanks to three people I’ve met through your show and have a great deal of respect for, Kim Borchers, Thomas Lessman, and Paul Degener for spreading the word about the rally in front of Cumulus last week and I’d like to thank everyone who showed up for it. Maybe we didn’t change their minds but they sure as hell knew we were there.
Jim, I don’t know what your plans for the future are but I think you ought to consider writing your own column and it just so happens that I know the editor of a really cool local newspaper that might be willing to give you a shot. Let me know, I’ll see what I can do.
And Jim, just so you know. There were many, many days that as a result of listening to your show my day was just a little bit brighter. Thank you for everything.
Oh yeah, Spike Santee and Cumulus Radio. Calling you guys scum sucking pigs probably would’ve been out of line but you can still kiss my butt.
Kevin McGinty can be reached at: kevinmcginty@sbcglobal.net

6 comments:

  1. Kevin, I respect your opinions and consider you a friend. I also consider Jim Cates a friend. The only thing I can say is that you don't know the whole story.

    Right now, there isn't much I can talk about. But when the smoke clears, we'll have to sit down over a Coke Zero and talk about life in corporate radio.

    Please keep in touch...
    Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know Steve. I did ask your boss if he wanted to tell his side of the story. Evidently he wasn't interested though.
    Don't worry, I'm not going anywhere. I'm still listening to your show.

    Kevin McGinty

    ReplyDelete
  3. what's so funny is that jim took the fall, when it's really everyone around him that are the whackjob freaks...

    steve forskin... kevin "i'm a man" mcginty... and a long list of fellow wife-beating, divorcing, tax-dodging, bill-dodging old bigoted white men.

    i think it's hilarious you guys no longer have a voice...
    your generation is finally, FINALLY going away...

    welcome the new generation, and a new day to rid ourselves of the hatred and bigoted reputation that people like you contributed to!!

    cheers!! LOL

    mr. jiggles!!

    p.s. i love how steve the fucktard alludes to more information... top secret stuff he can't tell you yet...

    and he says this on a public blog.

    it shows he's still the same insecure narcissistic hypocritical pig he's always been.

    he could have said this privately - but rather - he wanted people to know he knows more about the situation.

    i swear - the two of you are in a contest about who's more pathetic...

    and i'm still waiting mcgiggles!! you have never given a coherent, intelligent argument why you can speak out against abortion.

    intelligence isn't your bag, i know - but i didn't realize i would crush you so badly by calling you on your bullshit.

    pathetic... small-dicked...


    not too smart... kinda dumb... kinda ignorant... kind of a racist...

    that's you mcginty!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow jig,
    Glad the next generation (people like you) is leading us out of the hatred my generation has spread.
    You are right about one thing jig. Eventualy my generation will die off. But then so will yours. Sorry bud, that's the way life works.
    And no jig, I won't debate you on abortion or anything else. Mainly because your opinion means nothing to me.
    This is America and we all have the right to think what we want, believe what we want, and to freely speak our minds. I don't have to justify anything I say or do to you or anybody else.

    Oh yeah, you're kicked out of here again. The only reason I posted this in the first place is because I wanted people to see you for who you really are...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Don't waste your breath, Kevin. He isn't worth the effort. I just delete the garbage he sends me without even bothering to read it.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for the mention Kevin, and overall another good article. It really is a shame about what Spike Santee and Cumulus did to Jim.

    Steve, you're right that we don't know the whole story (and likely never will).

    Regardless, I know that Jim is a good man, and he's a friend of mine. He's done a lot for Topeka and he was a great host. He earned my respect.

    And for Spike to replace Jim with Blackburn, even as a temporary host, after all the talk about reducing open lines, not talking about "negative issues", etc? That was a spit in the face from Cumulus management to Jim's audience.

    Luckily for us, Jim didn't stay down long! He's about to start an online show in cooperation with the Topeka Capital-Journal (http://cjonline.com/stories/052508/loc_282675094.shtml). And from what I've heard, something is in the works for Jim at AM 580 WIBW radio.

    Thomas Lessman
    Website: www.thomaslessman.com
    Blog: www.talessman.blogspot.com
    Email: talessman@yis.us

    World History Maps by TAL: www.worldhistorymaps.info

    Lessman's Farm & Catfish Pond:
    www.thomaslessman.com/LessmanFarm
    =======================

    ReplyDelete

Solo Expedition...

 I haven't really talked about it much but every other weekend I usually head out by myself. It's usually the day I seek out new fis...